Friday, May 23, 2014

Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes...

As I've said before, I read a lot of blogs. I saw this picture floating across the internet. 
Meet Ajay Rochester.  She's formally a skinnier woman.  I've read some awful comments about this picture.  All completely unjustified.  I have mixed feelings about this picture, but negative comments are not worthy of repeating. Some were downright awful.
 
First before I get any further, let me say, her confidence is amazing.  I would never have the self esteem at my size to wear a bikini in public.  I just am not there personally.  The fact she can, I'm very intrigued and proud of her. And I think she's beautiful.  Her personality shines in her confidence and makes her that much more beautiful.
 
So let's start with the first thing I thought of when I saw this picture...
I love the bathing suit.  I personally don't like to be that exposed in my chest area, I don't wear tops that are cut that way for a reason. I feel over exposed and uncomfortable.  She's totally rockin' it.  It's probably not the most flattering bikini, but she's gettin' it. She's standing up for her right to wear a bikini.  There are no laws that say that bigger people can't wear what they want.  She's saying "Big is beautiful" and it is.  We all need to rely a little more on people's personalities, than their looks. It's the age old saying.  We all say to do that, yet all of us at some point have judged someone.  It's in our human nature.  I am very proud of her courage.  She has more than I would, more than a lot of us would.
 
Ok, now to the next view I had...She's saying it's ok to be "overweight".  Don't make that face.
I know it seems a little immature to think that, but she is.  She's bigger and she's happy, but is she healthy?  I'm happy, I'm bigger, but I'm not healthy.  I can sit here and say, I'm fat and proud, I'm not.  I'm not healthy. I'm not going to be able to survive at this rate.  Diabetes running on both sides of my bloodlines, I'm destined to be a diabetic unless I make changes.  I'm destined to have high blood pressure.  I'm destined to be a candidate for stroke.  That's not healthy.  That's not ok. I don't want that life.  I don't want to be paralyzed, lose legs, have health issues just because I can't control my eating patterns.  I'm thankful for her standing up for fat equality, but I'm also upset that it seems to be a version of acceptance.  You shouldn't accept yourself as unhealthy. I don't accept the path I was on.  I will not be another stereotypical overweight woman.  I will not be a stereotypical anything.  I just feel that showing herself unhealthy, isn't helping anyone.  If she was healthy, working out every day, and toning her body, eating healthy and couldn't lose weight for health reasons like a thyroid, I'd get it.  I just feel saying it's ok to compromise your health for food, is just not the picture we should be sharing with the world.
 
I know some people may think that I'm missing the point of the picture. I'm not. I get it.  I'm thankful a larger woman can show others how beautiful we really are. I'm amazed by her confidence, and her spunk.  I think it's amazing a woman like her has the career she does and she is on the fast track to a bigger one. It's amazing.  I'm sure she's heard snickers and laughs behind her as she's worn that bikini. I'm sure it's hurtful.  I couldn't imagine.  So more power to you if you have that thick armadillo skin, I just don't.
 
Congrats Ajay Rochester.  You're doing amazing things. Keep it up.
 
Phat Fat Chick
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment