Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The next Disney Princess should be a weight-loss success story...

I know, you read the title and thought, she has lost her cotton pickin' mind. I haven't actually lost my mind.  I think that Disney has these amazing girls who look like toothpicks in these extravagant gowns.  Usually their life starts out pretty awful, they meet a man and then they live happily ever after.

So why not start with this beautiful princess, who isn't a size 2, maybe a size 22.  She goes to the ball in a beautiful gown, meets the man of her dreams, gets married, and then later on loses weight for her personal health!  That's not really a fairytale is it??  It's a great story, but it's not a cookie cutter fairytale.  Neither is weight loss.  

I read a lot of stories about weight loss.  It always seems like it's this girl, she's overweight.  She's miserable.  She magically moves more and eats less over a year or longer period, sometimes less and she's like this super hot babe.  Is it really that easy??! No it's not.  You can't get off the couch one day, work out and eat less, and lose weight automatically.  There's no true weight loss system that will cut your fat off in a day. It takes work.  It's about your personal situation and body.  Of course you have to work out, and you have to make better food choices. But the recipe for weight loss doesn't stop there.  You have to have persistence,  dedication, love, and a whole lot of determination.  I'm just starting this journey for the last time, and every day, I wake up and it's a struggle.  

I wish I was in a fairytale, what girl doesn't.  I wish I had a prince charming that swept me off my feet.  I don't.  I don't believe that I'll ever have a cookie cutter fairytale.  God has a bigger and greater direction for me.   

I think that so many girls get wrapped up in fairytales and trying to fit their lives in a mold that they miss what's right in front of them.  I've been married and divorced.  I was that girl. I thought I had to have a man to be me.  That couldn't be further from the truth.  I'm more me, and more for me now than I ever was. 

I will be successful. It may be 2 years down the road before I hit my goal weight.  It may be longer.  I can't look into a magic ball and tell you.  But I can guarantee when I get there, I'll be there on my own.  No fancy diets, no "Move more, eat less" mantra, no surgeries, no crap. 

I think I had to first be honest with myself.  I love sugar. Sugar is like cocaine to someone like me.  If I detox my body from it, it makes curving cravings that much easier.  I'll never be able to go a day without some type of sugar.  I'm from the south. I like Sweet tea.  ALOT.  I always say I don't like sweets, but I do like things that contain sugar.  I think that I will struggle with this addiction forever.  I am like an alcoholic, it's a true disease.  I've watched documentaries about becoming a vegan or vegetarian.  I hate watching those animals die, but I still love my chicken, turkey and pork.  I'm sorry. I can't help it. 

I can walk into Dunkin' Donuts sometimes and not crave a single thing.  I can also walk in there and crave a tray of donuts.  I don't actually sit there and eat a tray...Chill out.  I just think about that taste of sugar and it's like my personal high.  I get excited, I can't wait to bite into it. I'm actually craving one now, writing this.  I love the strawberry frosted with sprinkles.  When I think about that, and I've actually looked it up, there is a meal worth of calories in one donut.  280 calories.  It's crazy.  I do splurge.  You have too, or you'll splurge after you've lost all your weight and gain weight.

So the purpose of this...Weight loss is not a fairytale.  Don't try to fit yourself into a cookie cutter story. We all have a purpose.

Phat Fat Chick

1 comment:

  1. mmmmmm . . . doughnuts! You say that sugar is your cocaine. Mine is the texture of food. I love the way certain foods feel in my mouth. It isn't so much about the taste as it is the texture for me. That texture can cause me to fall off of the eat healthy wagon faster than a hungry dog will come running for a bone.

    ReplyDelete