Monday, May 19, 2014

DJ Tanner and Vegetables...

I'm a huge Dancing with the Stars fan.  I love the show. I love music and I love dancing.  That will all come with time, about my new experiences at my new favorite place, Just Dance Roanoke.  I truly enjoy certain pro dancers on the show and I just love the costumes. 

Incase you're not an avid DTWS watcher, this season, Candace Cameron Bure, was on there with one of my favs, Mark Ballas.  Don't know who Candace Cameron Bure is?  Yea I didn't recognize the name either at first.  She's DJ Tanner from Full House.  I loved Full House as a child, such a great show.  Anywho, she's now a strong mother and a woman grounded in her faith in God.  I admire that about her.  It takes a strong woman to stand out from a Hollywood setting and stand in her faith in God. So kudos Candace and I suppose I shouldn't exclude your brother either, he definitely was able to use his previous Hollywood experience to his advantage. Kirk Cameron wrote the book I had to read in my first year Evangelism class at Liberty.
 
I know, I know, I digress...She just made it to the final 3 tonight. Although her dancing didn't exactly warrant that position, she said something that struck me.  She said during her teen years she was chubby.  She said she struggled with weight.  And thinking back, she's right.  She was chubby, in comparison to Kimmy(her best friend) and her tv show sister Stephanie.  She was different.  Her previous co-star, Lori Loughlin commented on the fact she used to spend time in her dressing room crying over her appearance.  Crying because she didn't think she had a future in show business.  It's sad.  Even in that time, 1987-1995, it was a prevalent issue.  I would have thought by the year 2014, that weight would have slid to a back burner.  I thought we would have evolved, but I honestly think we're backsliding. 

I've been that girl crying. Not because I wasn't going to be on a hit tv show.  I would have never done that. I was petrified to ask for ketchup at a restaurant, my family still makes jokes about that. I was super shy.  I did cry because I was awkward. I remember in the 6th grade, I wore boys jeans because I was embarrassed that I couldn't wear little girls clothes anymore and I was already headed into the bigger sized women's clothes. I remember going to a school with kids that weren't like me.  They're parents made more money than mine, and I didn't have the "Ralph Lauren" dresses, and I couldn't walk into a girly store and buy whatever I wanted.  Don't get me wrong, my parents gave me everything. I was spoiled.  I just never had the luxury of being the "in" crowd.  Even when I went to another school in 7th & 8th grade.  I wasn't in the cool crowd. Not many people knew my name. I was chubby, and shy.  What a horrible combination.  I was miserable.  I cried a lot.  I cried because I knew, rather it was true or not, that kids didn't want to play with me or pick me in gym class because I was fat.  I wasn't cute. I was super awkward.  I understand how she feels.

So I'm fist pumping in the air for all of those DJ Tanner's in the world.  We'll get there girls. Hold on tight, it's going to be a bumpy ride!!


And before I get any further, I'm not skinny shaming anyone either. I know some would read these posts and feel like I'm attacking every skinny person, I'm not.  It's awesome if God blessed you with a great metabolism, or just a rockin' body. I just wasn't blessed in that way. And I'm thankful for that too.  I have to work for my goal of weight loss.  I always found that things I had to work for, they meant more to me.  So me working for my goal, makes it that much more important. 


Everyone's body is different.  Some people can eat like a horse, and not gain a pound.  I can eat a piece of cake, and gain 20.  All in my stomach.  I have a food addiction.  I have a sugar addiction. I'm in the process of detox, and it ain't easy.  I love potato chips, I love jelly beans, I love ice cream, I love bread, and butter, and I even love vegetables.  With a side of ranch. 

I actually do love vegetables. I love carrots, broccoli, squash, zucchini, radishes, onions, tomatoes, eggplant, lettuce(on occasion, if you see me make a salad, it's usually without lettuce), cucumbers, peppers.  I love a lot of things.  I could eat most of these things and in the past 6 months, I've learned a lot more about these vegetables.  I've learned how to cook them and how to try things.  My mom is a picky eater.  She would never fix something she didn't like. Why fix two meals?  So I never tried a lot of different things.  I've been blessed by finding out some great information through the VA Cooperative Extension.  They have classes on food prep, serving and eating.  Who doesn't like to eat?  I've expanded my knowledge in so many ways through their programs at the Roanoke Libraries.  If you're interested, just send me an email and I can get you the list of dates for them.

I enjoy cooking. I'm becoming a cookbook-aholic.  I love experimenting.  I love taking unique foods and mixing them.  I have found I love turkey and chicken and not so much beef and pork.  I'm learning a new side of me.  I like her. She's super cool, and super handy in the kitchen. 

With this new side of me, she wants to cook healthier food, which is more expensive.  I know, it's backwards.  The junk is so mass produced, it's cheaper now.  So I decided to start a garden.  I decided to raise chickens. I'm a serious farm girl.  What?!  Who knew?  I've planted cucumbers, peppers, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, green onions, snap peas, and some herbs: Rosemary, Sage, Oregano, Parsley and Lemon Basil. I just planted them about 2 weeks ago.  I do have some pictures to share of my flourishing garden though, and I'll share a picture of my girls, (Gatsby, Buchannan, Wilson, Myrtle, Daisy, and Carraway) I'm a huge Gatsby fan.  The book, and old movie. I haven't seen the new one.


 
If you don't have the time to plant or raise little munchkins, there is always great places to get fresh vegetables in the summer.  Farmer's Markets are everywhere this time of year.  Don't worry, I'll share a lot of those, just in another post.  Until then, do some research.  Find out who sells at the market and how close they are to you.  Always try to buy local.  And vegetables and fruits are freezable. 

Fist pump it.

Phat Fat Chick.


1 comment:

  1. My hubby is such a picky eater that I am unable to experiment and do fun and cool things with veggies as much as I would like to, but for my lunches, which I eat at work, I try to experiment a bit and eat the majority of my veggies at lunch!

    ReplyDelete