Sunday, June 8, 2014

Turn Around, I'll find it...

First things first...Today would have been my grandma's 78th birthday.  So Happy Birthday Nanny.  


Have you ever heard about someone talking about losing weight, then someone says turn around I'll find it??  I always hated that. I always hated when people said that about someone.  It's amazing when someone loses weight, it's not a joke. It's not something to make fun of. It's not something to take lightly. 

If you think about how much a pound is, it's about 3 potatoes.  Take 3 potatoes and carry them around all day.  Think about how much of a pain that is.  Take 5 pounds,  carry around a 5 pound bag of potatoes all day.  You're arms will be exhausted.  We think of losing a pound or 5 pounds as a loss, but not a giant victory.  ANY WEIGHT LOSS IS A GIANT VICTORY.  I don't care if you lose half a pound, 1/4 of a pound, a loss is a loss.  I don't condone checking a scale on a daily basis, it tends to lead to disappointment and failure.  Most women who weigh themselves everyday find themselves on a track that causes nothing but problems.  They get depressed when they gain a pound, they get caught up in single pounds, and "numbers', they lose sight of what it important. 

I know it's hard. It's hard for me.  I wish I could check every hour of the day to measure what I am gaining.  I wish I could check every hour and get a pound loss every time.  It'd be pretty amazing.  I'd be losing weight so fast, I'd be really happy.  I've always heard that when weight is lost fast, it's gained back just as fast if not faster.  I've read diet books. I've read ways to lose weight.  I've seen the mottos, mantras, and anything else that could be used to lose weight.  The atkins diet, eat less carbs.  Weight Watchers, count points.  If those have worked for you and you've lost weight, that's awesome. I'm proud of you.  It's more than I can do.  I've mentioned it before, I believe Weight Watchers is a great program, I just don't believe in paying the $12 a week for it.  I think group weight loss works, like the beach body programs, I just don't believe in paying for those. I don't think paying for a process to lose weight will set me up for success.  I disagree. I think we have to pay for too many things in life, and I don't think it makes it a successful atmosphere for my particular personality.  Maybe I'm just too cheap. 

I believe that we all have the strength to overcome obstacles in weight loss.  It takes a lot of focus. It's hard. If it was easy, no one would be fat.  We'd all be able to walk around in bikinis and show off our killer bods.  We wouldn't have a plus size section.  There are always advertisements for pills to help lose weight, or powder to sprinkle on your food to shrink your cravings.  It never works.  How about we use a little hard work??  That's what's wrong with the world. I'd get into that, but that's another post.  Hard work. Work hard, determination and don't be afraid. Fear is a very difficult path.  I've been working on this myself.  I'm always scared of something.  Scared of what someone will think of me, scared of rejection, scared of failure.  All of these things are real.  Scared of failure, what if I'm writing this blog and I fail?  I can't lose weight?  Will you stop reading because then I'm just a fat girl who can't lose weight and obviously can't help you lose weight?  It's a scary thought.  If I dedicate myself and work hard, what if it just doesn't happen??  It's part of life. I'll never please everyone. Even when I lose weight, someone may not like me.  I've learned I need to work on my outlook.  I need to think positive and not be afraid.  If you don't like me, you don't. I can't make people like me. 

I'm excited and I hope you'll stay with me on this journey. 

I had planned on sharing a recipe tonight, but I couldn't get to the book tonight. I'll try to dig it out tomorrow.  Thanks for reading.

Phat Fat Chick

No comments:

Post a Comment