Sunday, June 1, 2014

Secondhand...Lot, what a crazy dude...

First things, first.  I have baby peppers growing on my pepper plants, herbs growing, tomatoes growing, and some squash starting to bloom.  I got really excited when I saw a baby pepper poking out on one of my green pepper plants.  Small things excite me.  Today has been a busy day.  My parents are in the process of remodeling parts of their house.  They're working on their bedroom now, so we had to find a flooring, wall color and flooring to finally finish their kitchen.  I was busy all day after church and I didn't think I'd have the energy to write tonight.  Especially after falling down the stairs tonight and twisting my knee pretty badly.  I think I'm getting super old, because it seems every week a new ailment starts.  Last week was swimmers ear and some other issues, this week it's my knee. Can I please get a break??!

Anyway back to what I was originally going to write...I get so sidetracked, I could write a whole article on my plants, and ailments. 

So I'm going to take this idea from Pastor Paul...I'm a thief, what can I say? It was an awesome sermon this morning and I think it has some serious relevance to this journey.  Title of his sermon:
Lot doesn't Perc.  SO for those who are not avid Bible readers or just don't know the story of Lot, let me simplify.  Lot and Abram were living on a certain piece of land, the land could not support both families.  So they made a decision, that they would go their separate ways.  Lot would go one way and Abram the other.  So Lot chose the way he wanted to go and Abram went the other.  Lot chose the city of Sodom.  A city full of deceit and evil.  Essentially a olden time Las Vegas.  Lot was comfortable in this lifestyle and loved being rich in this land. The Lord sent two men to warn Lot that this city was to be destroyed for it's awful lifestyle. As the city was being destroyed, his family was told to leave and never look back, his wife turned back and was turned into a pillar of salt.  Basically, he moved into the mountains with his daughters.  His daughters got him drunk and impregnated themselves with his children.  So Lot doesn't Perc?  What does that have to do with the story? It has to do with compromising.  It has to do with tolerating sin for this particular story. Lot tolerated sin, compromising his faith to live in Sodom and be rich.  What does it have to do with my journey?

Sometimes I don't perc.  I compromise.  I tolerate.  I'm a version of Lot.  No I'm not living in Las Vegas and I'm not a stripper, but I'm also not perfect and I compromise.  If it's easier to compromise to make things a little simpler, why not right?

Think about it this way...

If I compromise today, I say I'll eat a donut for breakfast.  Eat what I should for lunch and dinner.  Then tomorrow, why couldn't I compromise again?  What's stopping me?  Yea I could tell myself to not do it, but what happened yesterday that would make me think I couldn't??  Compromise and Toleration are a slipper slope in a case like this.  I can slip up, and cheat, who doesn't.  I can do it once in a while, but that's different than when I'm compromising.  If I'm doing it for the wrong reasons, like I'm too lazy to fix what I should fix, or someone else doesn't like it, or it takes too long.  Those are all bad excuses.  Get up a little earlier to be sure I have time, tell them to fix their own food.  There is always a right way and a wrong way.  Shortcuts and compromises can sometimes be a bad thing. 

Compromising can be a good thing in a marriage.  Like what color you should paint your house.  Compromise on that.  Don't sacrifice your health for someone else. It's not their health. It's not their body fat. It's not their body. It's yours.  Take control. Accept consequences. 

Pastor Paul brought up a good thing when he was telling the story of Lot this morning.  He said don't be a secondhand Christian. Which made me think...He said, if you can't walk alone with God, and you're depending upon someone else for your faith, you're a secondhand Christian.  He's right. 

It's the same with a lot of life choices.  I'm a secondhand weight loss person. I always feel like my decisions are directly based on what other people in my household choose. It's hard to be that person that is not eating a donut when every one else is biting into one and you have to watch.  It's hard being the one when something looks delicious like Kraft's Mac and Cheese and you can't eat it.  It's not easy being alone on a journey.  It's not easy being the only one who does something and it's not cool.  It's not cool to be a party pooper and sit there and not enjoy the same things they are.  It may not be cool, but I know I feel better having said no.  I feel better showing will power.  I feel stronger in my path and my journey. So remember, it may not be cool, but it's worth it.



Phat Fat Chick



P.S. I don't normally feel compelled to spread this much of the Word with some of you, but tonight it's heavy on my heart.  I feel like someone is supposed to read this, and this is what I need to say. SO if you're uncomfortable with this, stop reading. I'm sorry, but it's needed somewhere. We're never alone.  My journey has not been alone one step of the way.  I can feel God cheering me on every step of the way.  I feel like he's sitting next to me cheering me on telling me that it's all going to be ok.  God is with you. God is with me.  He is everywhere and he is cheering us on.  He's there. He's there to be your shoulder to cry on or the one you praise when something awesome happens.  Today, has been an exceptionally praise day for me.  A lot of things have changed and I feel like he deserves the most praise and thanks.  I suggest that if you're not sure who is on your path or journey with you, come to Parkway Wesleyan on Sunday, June 8th.  I don't know everything about the Bible, but if you're unsure about something and not sure about your faith, come to me. I'll be happy to share what I know, tell you a little more about my testimony, even the more recent part of it and I'll be happy to get you answers for the questions I don't know.  And I'll always pray for you.  If you ever need prayer, just shoot me an email. 

No comments:

Post a Comment